THENGA CHORU/ COCONUT RICE
This is one of my favourite rice varities.This is rice cooked in coconut milk
2 cups of basmati rice/long grain rice
4 cups of coconut milk
1 cup of carrots diced(medium sized)
1/2 lemons juice
1/2 tsp aniseed
a small piece of cinnamon
4-5 green chillies slit
1 cup of sliced large onion
3 tbsp ghee
1/2 cup of coriander leaves(finely cut)
2 tbsp nuts,2 tbsp raisins and 1/2 cup of sliced onions roasted and kept aside
- Wash and strain the rice in a colander
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel,add aniseeds,cinnamon,cloves,cardamom ,green chillies,cloves and stir well till an aroma comes.
- Add the sliced onions and saute’ them well.
- When the onions are translucent add the carrots and lightly stir it.
- Add the strained rice and stir well for a few minutes taking care that it doesn’t get stuck to the bottom of the vessel.
- Add the coconut milk to the rice and on boiling add the required amount of salt with the lemon juice.
- Keep it on low flame with the vessel covered.
- When the rice is cooked the coconut milk would have completely evaporated.You can see small holes in the rice.
- Turn off the flame and garnish the rice with coriander leaves,nuts,raisins and onions fried in ghee
- You can serve this with curries .
- My combination with rice was fish curry..
A homemaker who fell head over heels in love with food -an award-winning cookbook author, food blogger, award-winning culinary demonstrator