It seems that the name “Biriyani” was derived from the Persian language.The smell of spices really ignites our taste buds.The recipe that I ‘m typing out was shared to me by one of my aunts.
1kg Chicken pieces
1tbsp red chilli powder
1tbsp Coriander powder
1tsp garam masala
1/4 cup curd
3 cups of Basmati rice
2 pieces of cinnamon
1/2 part of a lemons juice
1 piece of Ginger crushed
6-7 cloves of garlic crushed
4-5 green chillies (Julian cut)
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
1 tomato sliced
6 cups of water
Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken pieces with chilli powder,garam masala,coriander powder,curd and salt.Keep it for 1/2 an hour.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel pour oil fry and seperate the cardamoms,cloves,cinnamon and rice by adding the lemon juice.
- In the remaining oil add the crushed ginger and garlic,coriander leaves,green chillies and stir them well.Add the tomato pieces and stir it well.
- Now add in the chicken pieces and mix well pouringabout 1/2 cup of water.Cover the vessel with a lid and let it cook till it gets half tenderized.
- When the chicken is half cooked ,mix in the rice and spices ,pour the 6 cups of water and let it cook on low flame covered with a lid.
- When the rice is cooked the water would have evaporated completely.
- For garnishing you can fry sliced large onions,nuts and raisins in ghee and mix with rice.
A homemaker who fell head over heels in love with food -an award-winning cookbook author, food blogger, award-winning culinary demonstrator